Salads can be such a pitfall. It is really hard for me to go to group lunches and someone admits they are dieting so they are ‘just going to get a salad.’ Well, if that salad has fried chicken, cheese, bacon, and a gallon of dressing you could have gotten anything on the menu, thrown some lettuce on top and it would have been the equivalent.
(Climbs off soap box….)
For me, salads are best when they are filled with different types of veggies, fruits, textures, etc. This salad is amazing!! It includes celery, apples, grapes and walnuts so you get a variety of flavors and textures. I use a bottled Poppyseed dressing, but you could also use a champagne vinaigrette or another poppyseed dressing like this one.
There are several advantages to chopping the spring mix. First, you are able to get a good ratio of other ingredients with your lettuce. Often, large pieces of lettuce overpower the other ingredients. Second, chopped salads require significantly less dressing than full leaf salads. Salad scissors are available at most big brand stores and on Amazon. Poultry shears also work in a pinch.
Chopped salads cut down on the amount of dressing required, but there are a couple of other ideas to reduce the amount of dressing used on a salad:
– Order the dressing on the side and lightly dip your fork before each bit of salad.
– Pour a small amount of dressing on the salad, mix the dressing, and repeat until you’ve lightly covered the salad to your tastes.
– Try other items as dressings; such as fajita vegetables, buffalo sauce, etc.
This recipe is for one salad, but you could do any multiple of this for a family dinner or large gatherings.
- Serves: 1
- Serving size: 1 Salad
- Calories: 304
- Fat: 12
- Saturated fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 234
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 25
- Cholesterol: 60
- 3 cups Spring Mix lettuce
- 100 grams cooked chicken breast (cold)
- 50 grams gala apple (chopped)
- 50 grams green grapes (halved)
- 75 grams celery (chopped)
- 15 grams walnuts (chopped)
- 1 tbsp poppyseed dressing
- Lightly chop lettuce
- Add dressing and chop lettuce to mix
- Add celery, apples, grape, chicken and walnut
- Mix and Enjoy!